Crafty Cardmakers Challenge 193 – lots of layers

Chanya 13 is hosting our challenge today, and the theme is Lots of Layers
As usual anything you care to enter is fine, a card, scrap layout, mixed media piece, some home decor, as long as it has lots of layers to match the theme.

Please remember our 15 total challenge rule! 

I don’t normally make cards with lots and lots of layers – my style tends to veer towards the clean and simple with minimal layers on the whole.  But layers don’t have to be frothy or lacy – so I decided to utilise one of my birthday gifts of a hunkydory stacker pad and just do lots of mats and layers.

I used 2 pages from the stacker – one background paper and one sheet of die cut decoupage/topper images.  My base card was my favourite 6 x 6 white card and originally I was going to put the backing paper directly onto it.  Then I thought, no! layers!!!!  and added some gold mirri behind it.  I didn’t have a full sheet of gold, so used the small A6 mirri sheets I use with the little book pages, and covered the join by sticking a further layered ribbon strip on the top to cover it. The layers on the strip was gold mirri, strip of background paper (reverse side) strip of gold mirri and finally a strip off of the embellishments sheet.

I used the edge of the embellishments sheet that had a gold trim as a further ribbon strip to go across the page horizontally (for the bees to stand on at the top!) and then stuck one of the flowers where the strips intersected,  with a small embellishment in the centre.  Finally I used some of the bee diecuts on foam pads to decorate the rest of the card.  I stuck one embellishment slightly too high up at the bottom, which irritated me because it looks wrong to my eye.  You probably wouldn’t have noticed if I hadn’t pointed it out though,.. which is what I console myself with!

The last touch was a bit of quickie glue and clear glitter around the centre of the sunflower, and 4 AB gems in each corner.

I liked the final effect very much – I think these stackers are really good value and ideal for those times when you don’t have time to pull a design together from scratch.    This one was a gift, but I may just treat myself to some of the others!

 

Advertisements

Crafty Cardmakers Challenge 192 ~ Tic Tac Toe

Marlene is hosting our challenge today, and the theme is Tic, Tac, Toe. We were asked to choose a line from the grid below, either top to bottom, left to right, or diagonally.

As usual anything you care to enter is fine, a card, scrap layout, mixed media piece, some home decor, as long as your all the items in one straight line from the grid.

Please remember our 15 total challenge rule!

tic tac toe

I used my favourite 6 x 6 card base for this one, and used some nautical backing paper from one of the cds I have in my stash.  I think this one may have been a serif digi kit…

This card was going to be made at a craft club I go to and as I had to make 25 kits for ladies to use, I wanted to see if I could make a card with the minimum of raw materials, and pretty much all of this was printed out on one sheet of A4 paper.  Of course, I could have made it simpler by layering the anchor patterned paper onto the blue pattern paper digitally before cutting it out, but in this case I set the squares on the paper so they could be cut and layered individually.

I used a plainish piece of the blue patterned paper to stamp out my sentiment, which I heat embossed with silver detail embossing paper.  I really like this sentiment and use it a lot – it’s perfect for men’s cards, as it isn’t overly sentimental.

For this card I used a porthole stamp from Creative Stamping magazine that I overlaid on the shape I cut from the scan n cut in silver card.  I didn’t get it quite square on, so I need to rethink how I do this if I do it again!  Maybe the cut image needs to be a smidge bigger…

I love that turquoise/teal blue, and I managed to find some Butchers Twine on the interwebs that was JUST the right colour (I think it’s Eton Blue) and I used it to wrap around the porthole.  This gives an extra embellishment, but again, isn’t as feminine as ribbon and went well with the anchor – with hindsight, I should have had it going through the ring of the anchor, but hey ho!

I used self adhesive pearls to frame the corners of the base card and the main topper, and to make the centre point of the anchor.

The final touch was some faux stitching around the edge of the card and the main topper – Twilight sky promarker around the white card, and white gel pen on the teal coloured topper.

This card can be turned into a feminine one really easily – just swap the anchors and porthole for floral paper and a fancy frame.  And have ribbon, not twine, with a bow!